Thursday, July 2, 2009

July 2, 2009

Jack and I spent the day at home bumbling around. In the morning we set up the sprinkler on the street level part of the garden and Jack was very excited about the sprinkler. Then we went to the back of the building and weeded the garden. Jack enjoys putting rocks in a bucket and then carrying them around with him. Whenever I watered the garden he'd laugh as he put his hand in the stream. By late morning he was soaking wet and we went upstairs to change clothes and have something to eat. Jack really enjoys counting down with the microwave- "5! 4! 3! 2! 1! ZERO!!!!!" and the microwave beeps and Jack laughs and laughs.
We played with a lot of different toys today-pull toys, pans in the kitchen (always a favorite), the broom, cups, the tape measure, Babydoll in his stroller, and the toy truck Gramps made him.
This afternoon Justin and Sparrow came over for lunch. Sparrow set up the xylophone for Jack and they also watch a few videos on youtube together. Justin turned me on to finger breakdancing which Jack enjoyed a lot. We also talked about "Free To Be You and Me" and what an impact it made on both of us. How corny and obvious the equality issues seem now, and how it's amazing that there was a time that it was necessary. Did you know Michael Jackson was in the FTBYM movie? I didn't until today, I only saw the movie once probably although I listened to the record a hundred times with Laura Vetter, my best friend from childhood.
After Justin and Sparrow left, we were playing with the blocks, or rather I was. I was trying to build a tower and Jack knocked it down. I pretended to cry because I wondered if he could understand that it made me sad when he wrecked what I had made. Jack looked at me so sympathetically and said "Mama mama" and gave me hugs. He held my face in his hand and said "Mama mama" and then babbled at me and pointed this way and that way and then gave me more hugs. He tried to make me laugh and when it didn't work he gave me more hugs. All of this probably didn't last more than a minute, but I'm glad to see he showed compassion, (even if he did promptly destroy my tower again). Then he helped me put the blocks away in the bin.
Papa came home and the two of them took a bath and when I came in to get Jack he showed me how he could kick in the water just like he does at swimming class. (He has become an excellent kicker).

No comments: