Tuesday, April 5, 2011

snow




In San Francisco, one "goes to the snow". That's how they say it here. It still strikes me as weird. Not so much that you have to get out and go to where the snow is, just grammatically it sounds weird. It seems like one should say, "we're going on vacation to the mountains" or something. But I guess a lot of people here do actually just drive until they see the snow, then they get out of their cars and frolic for a while, then they go home.
Jack was into it. We stayed at a lovely, understated resort that served hot chocolate for free until 5 every day, with whipped cream and cinnamon sprinkled on top. Jack doesn't like chocolate, and he wasn't interested in the hot chocolate but Sean and I got our money's worth. The snow was really high, but the weather was warm so it was pretty much the best of both worlds, although I guess if I had to find something wrong I could say it would have been nice if snow had fallen while we were there. But I'm not going to find anything wrong because the trip was awesome. We went into South Tahoe one day and Jack tried ice skating on skates. He was a real champ and did remarkably well.

No comments: