Thursday, April 7, 2011

the significant things you couldn't imagine if you didn't have a kid

There are about 100 of these moments every day.
This morning Sean heard Jack waking up, talking to himself, clearly dreaming. Then when Jack was awake he told Sean that he saw the pizza but then the pizza was gone and he wanted the pizza. It was probably the first time we had a clear example of Jack experiencing dreams vs. reality.
Later today I gave Jack a yogurt and a spoon to eat before nap. I went off to the bathroom and when I came back Jack had decided to eat the yogurt with his hand, just one hand, while he held his favorite stuffed animal, Dalmation, in his other hand. I told him that I didn't know why he decided to eat his yogurt with his hand today, but that next time if he doesn't want to use his spoon he should really wash his hands first because his hands have a lot of germs on them (nevermind that I should have made sure he washed his hands before he sat down to eat anyway). But I'm walking him into the bathroom, looking at how thoroughly he has covered himself in yogurt-his sweatshirt, his face, his forehead, his arm, the floor, the table and I'm kind of blown away by how he can make this much of a mess without being intentional about it. I mean, he really was just happily eating yogurt, talking to himself and to Dalmation, clearly not trying to make a mess, but not aware that the yogurt is going everywhere either.
As I write that it sounds like nothing, but it makes me stand in awe and wonder at kids.

No comments: