Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The orange thing


So we have this orange toy from when I was a kid. One of these things with a three-foot rope that would NEVER be legal to manufacture nowadays. It has a carrot shape at one end and an abstract shape at the other with holes to weave the carrot shape in and out of. Jack has this very fastidious ritual that he does with the toy which I would give my eye teeth to understand and know what he is thinking when he does it.
He drapes the rope around his shoulders, sometimes loosely around his neck, with the carrot hanging at his chest. Then he walks through the house with the abstract block dragging behind him. He is always very quiet and serious when he does this. Sometimes if the rope is looped around him, he gets really frustrated and mad and spends a lot of time readjusting it so it just hangs over his shoulders. Like I said, I would just love to know what this means to him.

No comments: