Thursday, July 3, 2008

gulp

We are VERY fortunate that Jack has been accepted to San Francisco State University's childcare program. It's really awesome and affordable, and as our friend Sharon puts it, "once you visit the facility you don't want to send your kid anywhere else". 
When I got the acceptance email, I went cross-eyed reading it because I was so excited.
So initially Jack was accepted for two full days per week, which would allow me to continue at the Labor Archives, have a day to work on my thesis but still give me time with Jack to go to swimming lessons and the park.
Then they called back and offered us our original choice of THREE days per week. Not wanting to pass it up (once you agree to a schedule, it's pretty much set for the duration that your child is in care), I agreed. After I got off the phone I started to panic. Somehow three days per week seemed like so much more than two-irrational perhaps, I know. But I called Sean and of course, being the solid voice of reason that he always is for me, made me realize it was okay.
In the long run, I think it will be good for Jack, and for mom and dad too. I couldn't do it if I didn't believe that the facility is really great and that Jack is going to benefit from going there. It will mean that I will keep taking at least one class per semester at State, which is good because there were some great courses that I couldn't take because I ran out of time and it should allow me to work more.

No comments: