Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A big day for Jack

Today I had Jack lying on his blanket while I cleaned up his room. I was busy talking to him, telling him what I was doing, and when I looked over, he was holding his pink spoon-waving it around, chewing on it and whatnot. This is the first time he has decided to pick something up on his own. Usually we hold something up for him and he grabs it. Needless to say, I was pretty excited. 
I wonder if he was inspired by the older kids at his FIRST SWIMMING LESSON! Jack was a little unsure at first, keeping his hands closed in at his chin but eventually his arms relaxed and he seemed pretty entranced. Jack really enjoyed playing Humpty Dumpty (the kids sit on the edge of the pool, and then "fall" into the water and grab the side of the pool). Jack really liked patting the edge of the pool, (while the rest of the class was moving on to the next activity), so I try to let him follow through on what he's doing before I move him to the next thing. He also really enjoyed looking at his feet in the water while laying on his back and kicking. The pool is beautiful-it's for physical therapy and handicapped folks, and it's kept really warm besides having a very gradual descent of stairs into the water and the deepest it gets is four feet. 
I had a very clear moment of realizing that I wouldn't want to be anywhere in the world except right there with Jack as he wondered what all those other people were doing in our bathtub.

No comments: